Custom Built Cabinets: 6 Ways to Know Prefab Isn’t for You
You Might Prefer Custom Built Cabinets If…
When you are planning an upcoming kitchen or bathroom remodel, there are a lot of cabinetry options to compare. With so many available options in prefab cabinets, how do you know whether to use custom built cabinets? Here are Dwell Custom Cabinetry’s top six reasons:
- You have your own style. Custom cabinets have virtually limitless options. If you have in mind a special color, finish or trim; want glass inserts in the places you want them; or have a vision of how your hardware should look and function; then custom cabinetry is often an easier way to bring your vision into reality.
- You appreciate quality. You appreciate finer things like solid wood, and matching wood grain on the cabinet face and box. With manufactured cabinets, you’re not going to get that attention to quality. The parts that you don’t usually see, such as the floors, partitions and backs, are often made of particleboard in lower-end cabinets. If you want guaranteed quality and to truly know what materials are in your cabinets, then custom is the way to go.
- You like quick response. If there should ever be problems with your cabinets, a manufacturer usually requires a longer lead-time to correct your order—often a month or more. That’s a painfully long wait for your new kitchen. Custom cabinetmakers take less time, resulting in a quicker response.
- You want the right size. Cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling are a design trend in 2015. To meet the specific dimensions of your kitchen space without using odd workarounds, you’ll want custom cabinetry.
- You prefer personalized service. Home centers generally have too many different people along too many steps in the process. Cabinets can show up wrong or broken, and it’s hard to tell where things went wrong. When you work with Dwell Custom Cabinetry, you know exactly who to talk to about your project, and we take personal responsibility for your remodeling project going smoothly.
- You like to get exactly what you want. With prefab cabinets, you often have to make do with the standard shapes, sizes, finishes, and hardware. There can be unusable filler space if the cabinets are too narrow for the dimensions of your kitchen. You can be limited by the options or combinations available. With custom built cabinets, you are limited only by your imagination. (Well, that and the laws of physics.)
One of the reasons we didn’t list is expense. The costs need to be evaluated case-by-case, as the price you pay has a lot to do with the design decisions you make. When it comes to custom built cabinets, you may be saving money in the long run because of the craftsmanship and durability of your beautifully crafted finished product.
Being cabinetmakers, we could list many reasons why custom built cabinets are the best option for your home. Give us a call at Dwell Custom Cabinetry and we’d be happy to share more!